Downloads & Links
- Admin: Chris Rushton
6th July 2016
Date of Next Review
The emergency doctor is provided to only deal with patients with an immediate emergency on the day medical issue, which cannot be managed within the current surgery appointments/telephone consultations slots. They should not be used to deal with appointment pressures without prior agreement.
Details of Emergency Services in Bradford
Here is a summary of who provides emergency cover and when.
- 0900-1800 (Mon-Fri): we provide an on call ‘emergency doctor’ cover.
- Weekends/Evenings/Nights and Bank Holidays: the local Out of Hours service kicks in – to access a patient dials 1 1 1 from their phone to speak to NHS 111 advice line. They can provide advice over the phone or arrange for a doctor to see the patient in person.
- If the patient is in a dire emergency, they can call 999 for an ambulance to go straight to the Accidents & Emergency Department.
- If the patient is unsure whether they have an emergency or which service to contact, they can call the NHS 111 advice line – they will advise them.
Ashcroft’s Emergency Doctor Service – notes for our admin team & the doctors
- Usually a different doctor covers the am & pm period. They are marked on Systmone rota and the paper rota copy in reception.
- They will complete an AM surgery, with last hour as emergency appointments. They will also provide urgent advice as necessary. The Emergency Doctor (ED) may have to leave surgery to do an emergency visit.
- At end of surgery, the ED will be taken scripts tray 1 (see Prescriptions protocol) which will contain all scripts produced that am.
- Admin will answer the mobile from 11:30am to 13:00 and contact the ED on their mobile (if away from surgery) if a patient requirement cannot wait until the pm emergency doctor surgery or is for a visit request.
- Subject to available Doctors, the ED will not be allocated am visits.
- The ED will take a Systmone visits surgery list overview responsibility and deal with any AM visits not dealt with by the other Doctors. See Visit protocol.
- Complete emergency patient visit requirements from11:30-13:00. If otherDoctorsare available in this time, then the ED can ask for their assistance.
- A different ED will complete a PM surgery ‘EMERGENCY PM’ for admin etc to use starting from 13.00
- The ED will complete the PM visit(s) if assessed as necessary and not appropriate to be allocated to the next day’s consultation/visits book for a late AM/early PM visit after the morning surgeries. The ED can ask other Doctors to support after their surgeries if numbers, location and patient illness/continuing care deem appropriate.
- The ED will deal with all the day requirements and should not with out other doctor agreement defer any to next day.